Has your child dropped a piece of gum or candy on your expensive and favorite carpet, and you do not know what to do next?
Well, fret not! Here are some carpet cleaning tips that will help you remove the sticky substance off from the carpet fibers.
The first rule to remove any gum or sticky substance off the carpet is to remove it as soon as possible because the later you act, deeper it will ground into the carpet fibers.
Here are a few hacks that should help:
- The easiest way to get a gum out of carpet is by placing some ice cubes over the gum for 5-10 minutes. Ice freezes the gum and makes it brittle. After this, it can be easily removed.
- You can also use your hair dryer to remove the gum. Just aim it directly over the gum. As soon as you feel the gum is melting, put off the mains and scrap it out gently with the help of a plastic bag. Repeat the process if you feel that the gum has not melted.
- You can also use an oil to remove the gum. However, it is highly recommended to conduct a patch test with the oil you are going to use to make sure that it doesn’t impact your carpet adversely. You can use eucalyptus oil, olive or peanut oil for this purpose. The oil works by reducing the stickiness of the gum, after which it can be easily removed. Remember to clean the carpet thoroughly after the use of oil.
- Take the help of solvents such as citrus greaser, or spirit. These solvents help in dissolving the polymers of the gum, thus making them less sticky. Apply the solvent directly on the gum with a cotton cloth, leave for 5-10 minutes and then scrape it off with the help of a butter knife gently.
- Vinegar also works well to remove the gums from the carpets. Use it according to the fabric of the carpet. If your carpet fabric is delicate, mix one-fourth teaspoon of white vinegar with four cups of water. If you have a synthetic carpet, mix a half cup of vinegar with one cup of water and if the material of your carpets is natural to take equal proportions of both to clean the gum.
- Mild liquid detergents also help in easy removal of gum. Take some amount and pour it directly over the gum, scrap it off using a cleaning brush, rinse and pat dry.
- Put a paper towel over the gum and run an iron over it. The heat of the iron melts the gum which then sticks on the paper towel.
You can also take the help of commercial carpet cleaning products available in the market. WD-40 is one such product. Its lubricating property helps the gum to get released from the carpet. It also removes any residual portion of the gum from the carpets.
Dry the carpet well after using any of the above processes. You may also use lemon juice to get rid of any stickiness on the carpet.
However, if your carpet is dirty and needs professional carpet cleaning, contact us today.